Connecting Literacy targets whole-school literacy improvement for Secondary students and teachers.
What is Connecting Literacy?
A developmental literacy program for Secondary schools, including:
- 3 student folios
- 3 teacher books
- 100s of video lessons hosted by literacy consultant, Hayley Harrison.
Who is Connecting Literacy for?
Secondary school students and teachers who:
- are embarking on whole-school literacy improvement, OR
- integrate literacy skills in the English classroom, OR
- attend a timetabled literacy block.
How does Connecting Literacy work?
With cumulative skill development over three books where students:
- Model: read and annotate an ‘anchor text’ – an authentic piece of student writing
- Practise: complete units of work in class or as homework with video support from Hayley Harrison, literacy coach
- Apply: draft their own text directly into the writing pages included in each student folio.
Why do you need Connecting Literacy?
- Flexibility: Use the series over three consecutive years or use the student folios in parallel to differentiate, support and extend.
- Support: Video lessons, teacher books with answers and suggested programs, a literacy skills ‘toolkit’ and on-demand P.D. sessions will support experienced and out-of-discipline teachers alike.
- Evidence: Student folios are designed as a learning pathway with built-in student reflection, metacognition and formative assessment (with developmental rubrics).
- Whole-school: Use Connecting Literacy to underpin your whole school literacy plan and create a common metalanguage around literacy
Find out more about our author Hayley Harrison here